Lib Dem Lords oppose Nationality and Borders Bill.
April 4, 2022 9:17 PM
Message from Lord Chris Rennard:
Today, I and my fellow Lib Dem Peers will be voting against many aspects of the truly terrible Nationality and Borders Bill.
Brian Paddick has been leading brilliantly on this. This is his summary of issues we want to oppose in any votes today:
Lord Paddick, Lords Spokesperson for Home Affairs
- Depriving people of their UK citizenship without telling them
- Criminalising everyone who makes it to the UK border and then claims asylum
- Criminalising those rescuing drowning migrants in the English Channel
- Requiring non-UK or Irish citizens, moving between Northern Ireland and the Republic, to have an electronic visa, even if they live on the island of Ireland
- Allowing those who push-back migrant boats in the Channel to have legal immunity, even if people drown as a result
- Allowing the Bill to 'reinterpret' the UN Refugee Convention, effectively overruling it
- Denying genuine refugees their rights if they don't come via (almost non-existent) Government resettlement schemes
- Not allowing asylum seekers to work, if the Home Office take more than 6 months to decide their case
- Refusing asylum to anyone who has passed-through a 'safe third country' to get here
- Sending asylum seekers to places like Ascension Island, not just to be processed but permanently
- Refusing to allow unaccompanied asylum-seeking children in Europe to be taken in by family members in the UK
- Refusing to ensure the UK is prepared to take in asylum seekers if required, by making sure the systems are in place and by giving support for local authorities, unlike the current shambles with Ukraine
- Not giving sanctuary to victims of genocide
- Using unproven and harmful methods to assess the age of asylum-seeking children such as the use of X-rays
- Reversing the protections afforded to victims of modern slavery
This is a Government without moral conscience and which has no sense of shame.
Later this week we will be voting against their plans to rig election rules in their favour.
Unfortunately, they have seen what Victor Orban can do in Hungary with control over the media and election processes, combined with an appeal to crude and nasty nationalism.
Opposing these kind of things is why many of us are involved in politics.